Friday, February 15, 2013

Recipe: Zucchini and Pepperoni Lasagna (egg, dairy, and nut free)






Ingredients:

1 package Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat lasagna noodles (or other egg free brand)
4 small zucchini
1 package pepperoni or turkey pepperoni (omit for vegan version)
10 oz. block vegan mozzarella (I use Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet)
1-2 cloves garlic
1 medium onion
1 green bell pepper
2 (24 oz) jars Classico Tomato and Basil pasta sauce
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
3 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil




Directions:
1)  Mince garlic (I only had potted garlic on hand, so it was already minced) and dice onion and bell pepper.




2)  Coat large sauce pan with olive oil and saute garlic on medium heat.  Add onions and peppers to the pan and saute until the onions are translucent. 






3)  Add sauce and herbs to the pan and simmer 15 minutes.





4)  While sauce is simmering, shred the cheese and slice zucchini into long thin strips.  I shoot for about ¼ inch thickness or less for the zucchini strips.






5)  Spray Lasagna pan with cooking spray and begin layering.  





6)  First, spread a thin layer of sauce over the bottom of your dish.  Then, add a layer of lasagna noodles (uncooked).  Don’t worry.  There will be plenty of liquid from the sauce and vegetables to cook the pasta.  I used a sparse layer of pepperoni on top of the pasta.  Then add a full layer of zucchini strips, followed by a sparse layer of shredded cheese.  Use about ¼ of your cheese per internal layer, leaving about ½ for the top of the lasagna.  After the cheese, repeat all layers one more time.





7)  Top with one final layer of sauce, then sprinkle remaining ½ of shredded cheese over the top.





*Busy Mom tip:  If I have leftover sauce, I like to make a smaller version with whatever else I have left.  This time I had sauce, pasta, and zucchini left, so I just layered them in a small dish to bake along side of my lasagna.  I will pop it in the freezer after it cools and reheat for a quick lunch for myself or the kids when I need it.




8)  Cover lasagna pan with foil and bake for 45 minutes at 375 degrees.  Uncover and cook an additional 15 minutes or until cheese begins to brown.  I like to turn the broiler on low to make sure the cheese browns at the end, but be sure to watch it closely if you do this.


This was the first lasagna our girls had ever had and they both loved it (ages 4 and 22 months). My husband is not usually a huge fan of zucchini, but the pepperoni was enough to win him over.




Our family works with severe egg, dairy, peanut, and tree nut allergies.  I use products and brands that I am comfortable with based on a combination of labeling, prior experience, and recommendations from others with similar restrictions.  I do not regularly call the company for factory information on all brands we use.  Please use brands and ingredients that you are comfortable with based on precautions you typically take .  

No comments:

Post a Comment